It’s been a really long week for all of us here at our house, and I for one, am looking forward to a nice, quiet #SundaySupper with my family tonight. I have spent hours in the kitchen this week, getting ready for the holiday’s, posts and of course, cooking my children healthy, delicious meals. I have spent entirely too much time on the computer this week getting posts ready and working on upcoming projects while trying to juggle current projects and of course just trying to be a mom to five crazy teenagers. This week just needed to be over and I have thoroughly enjoyed my weekend thus far. Rest and relaxation. I hope you have too.
Please tell me I’m not the only one who does this….
I have a few friends, one in particular that I love to taunt with pictures of my food. haha I have spent the week texting pictures of food to a super good friend of mine. And he’s on a diet. I’m such a bad friend. I figure I’m probably doing him a favor, by putting temptation in front of him, that he can’t have, right? Right? Probably not, but it sounded good. At any rate, I’m trying to be nicer and not share food as much, but sometimes it’s hard not to show it off when it looks as good as this does, and yep this picture made an appearance on his phone this week. Isn’t it pretty?
The good news about this dish, is that a few substitutions and you have a diet friendly meal. Use Skim milk, sub the sausage for grilled chicken or even leave it out all together, use rice or a low carb pasta.
Anyway, it’s freakin’ good and my kids eat it, even the picky ones, so it’s a favorite around here, and I was happy to be able to share it today for our Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper.
Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti
- 2½ cups of roasted squash
- ⅔ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces of cooked spaghetti
- 14-16 ounces smoked sausage
- ¾ cup of milk for final step.
- In a large bowl, mash the roasted butternut squash and the ⅔ cup of milk.
- Heat a large skillet with the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Slice the sausage and pan fry in a large skillet over medium high heat until almost cooked. (check pkg. directions). Add the sage and minced garlic in the last minute or so and saute for about 1-2 minutes. Add more olive oil if needed. Just a small amount, a teaspoon or less.
- In another pot, prepare the pasta as directed. Drain.
- Stir the Creamy Butternut Squash Mixture in with the garlic and sausage, add the salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese, and the extra ¾ cup of milk.
The #SundaySupper Movement brings you…. Squashin’ Winter!
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.