I’m always looking for quick meals I can make with leftovers. This Cabbage Rolls recipe came about on just such a night. I had tons of leftovers in the refrigerator but not enough of any one thing to make a whole meal out of it.
Don’t you hate that?
I had to grab a head of cabbage from the store, but the rest of it was all stuff that was in my refrigerator. Leftover beef from taco’s over the weekend, leftover rice from a beef tip meal a few nights before. The rest of what I used to make it into a meal, came from stuff I always have on hand (onions, garlic).
This is NOT a traditional cabbage roll recipe in any regard, and can be made without leftovers by simply following the recipe below. You can also stuff the cabbage rolls with just about anything you want.
- 1 head of cabbage
- leftover (or ½ lb) lean ground beef
- ½ onion
- minced garlic
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- seasonings and sauces for flavor (see recipe)
- Some people slice the ends off the cabbage and boil the whole thing. I did that the first time (for these pictures), but have since found that removing the leaves you want to use is MUCH easier and works better. So - remove the # of leaves you need. We did 8. Drop the cabbage leaves into boiling salted water; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Drain well.
- Allow to cool before trying to roll up the filling.
- In a saucepan on the stove, saute the 2 Tbs. olive oil, onion, garlic with the ground beef.
- Combine the beef mixture with the cooked rice. I added some dashes of Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and pepper. Divide into 8 portions.
- Spoon the portions of rice/beef mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf and roll up. Roll the leaf around the filling. If you need to, you can use a toothpick to hold it closed.
- Notes: We chose to eat our first batch as soon as we got to this point, but many enjoy baking them in tomato sauce. We've done that a few times too, but each time I do it differently. Here is a standard method.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the rolled cabbage rolls into a baking dish side by side.
- Pour tomato sauce and ½ cup of water into the baking dish. Spread around the cabbage rolls.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes.
Munchie Monday is open to everyone, and has no requirements, though we would love it if you at least linked back to us and/or showed off our button. 🙂 We just want to see what you’ve been making!
There are no rules, no specific types of recipes – just link up any recipe you’ve made and then hop around to visit all of the great linked up recipes.