Sweet Florida strawberries and rich dark chocolate combine in a light, airy dessert that intermingles on your tongue and has your taste buds screaming for more!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
While love is in the air today, so is my love of strawberries. I adore strawberries, whether it’s slicing a few fresh from Florida Strawberries to put on my oatmeal for breakfast, or sinking some in a little cream for a healthy afternoon snack. I’ll eat them straight out of the container too! My whole family loves strawberries, so we tend to use them in recipes a lot.
Fun Fact: Did you know 8 medium strawberries equal your daily requirement of vitamin C? Nutritious and delicious, locally grown Floriday Strawberries are in season now.
With Valentine’s day here, I wanted to create a delicious recipe idea that would spark the interest of not only my boyfriend who happens to love Strawberries, but also my kids who I always celebrate Valentine’s with.
Florida Strawberries have the best winter strawberries! It’s so easy to add flavor and nutrition to your favorite recipes with Fresh from Florida Strawberries. Strawberries are so nutritious and such a great addition, the whole family will be incredibly happy you added them. Whether it’s muffins or oatmeal, or a salad or side, they are the perfect addition to so many things!
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup of cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup strawberries, finely chopped
- ½ cup granulated white sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- Florida Strawberries for garnish
- In a double boiler, fill the bottom pan with 2 inches of water and fill the top pan with the chopped bittersweet chocolate and add ¼ cup of cold heavy whipping cream. Melt chocolate, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula totally combined with the heavy whipping cream. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 3-4 minutes, set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the remaining ¾ cup of heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the melted cream and bittersweet chocolate, then gently stir in the rest. Very gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate and cream mixture just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Chill the bowl you will be using for about 15 minutes in the freezer before using. I used my standmixer, so I put that bowl in the freezer.
- Remove from freezer and add all three ingredients to the bowl and beat on high speed until medium peaks form. About 1-2 minutes. Do not walk away and do not overbeat!
- In your food processor, add the strawberries and 1 tablespoon of the granulated white sugar and allow to sit for about 10 minutes. (while you make on of the other layers)
- When ready, process until smooth.
- In a medium size bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the water and sprinkle the unflavored gelatin on top. Let this stand for about 5 minutes.
- On the stove, in a small saucepan, add 6 tablespoons of granulated white sugar, 3 tablespoons of water and and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir just unit combined and then continue to cook NOT stirring until a candy thermometer reads 240 degrees. This took about 3-4 minutes, but will vary, set aside momentarily
- Returning to the gelatin bowl, add the egg whites and beat until foamy. Gradually add the last tablespoon of granulated sugar and continue beating on high until soft peaks form.
- Now pour the hot sugar syrup into the egg white mixture and begin beating at medium speed for about 1 minute. Add vanilla extract. Turn up to high speed and beat only until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, beat the cold heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Now fold the egg white mixture into the whipped cream. Next, fold in the remaining egg white mixture.Lastly, fold in the strawberry mixture.
- Spoon the chocolate layer into serving glass or dish. Next add the whipped cream layer and end with the strawberry layer.
- Put in the refrigerator to chill and set for absolutely no less than 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, spoon whipped cream on top and garnish with a sliced strawberry.
Be sure and visit Florida Strawberry:
And follow Strawberry Sue:
Also be sure and check out the other fabulous recipes made with juicy, delicious Florida Strawberries!
- Sparkling Strawberry Sangria from Family Foodie
- Strawberry-Basil Spritzer from Eat Picks
- Strawberry and Cream Smoothie from Flour On My Face
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from Love and Confections
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake from Ruffles & Truffles
- Skillet Baked Strawberry Oatmeal from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Banana Hazelnut Crepes from The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Coffee Cake with Greek Yogurt from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweetheart Strawberry Scones from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Basil, Brie and Strawberry Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chef Salad with Strawberry Croutons from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Herbed Strawberry Salad from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Waldorf Salad from Food Done Light
- Balsamic Strawberry Walnut Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil from Soni’s Food
- Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Mole Chicken from Curious Cuisiniere
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits from Daily Dish Recipes
- Flourless Almond Cake with Strawberries and Coconut Cream from Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Cannoli from Palatable Pastime
- Triple Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
Plus: Nutritious Fresh Strawberry Recipes plus Strawberry Almond Milk from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.