Today is day 6 (Letter F) in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. I chose Food Blogging Fun Facts because one, they are funny but oh so true, and two, what else could I do for the letter F besides Food?
Here are some fun food blogging facts. If you relate or you have something to add, please, please put it in the comments below. They make me giggle and they show my family that we aren’t the only weirdos.
1. We rarely choose romantic dinners at restaurants. Why? Mood lighting. When a restaurant is dark it’s nearly impossible to take a good pic of your food.
2. We often serve our families luke-warm to cold food. We are not cold heartless people, but it’s all about the perfect photo. It takes time. Time cools food. Thus, the family often eats luke-warm or cold food.
3. “Am I allowed to use this (cup, bowl, plate, glass, spoon, etc.)?” is a phrase we hear often in our house. That’s because we have items that are ONLY for food blogging.
4. Sipping a cocktail at 9:30am is not unheard of. No we are not alcoholics, but if we don’t utilize that perfect morning light, we won’t get the best shot. And we can’t waste the drink!
5. I know at our house, I have an entire herb garden in my fridge and on my patio. Because when you are looking for the perfect finish to a photo shoot, a sprig of something or garnishing with some herbs is often the perfect touch.
6. We often eat hamburgers or pizza on major holidays. That’s because we probably consumed 6 hams and full-out Easter or Christmas feasts before the month of the holiday even came. Since we usually plan ahead, I know for me, we did 4 thanksgiving dinners all in October.
7. Many of us thought we were good photographers. Until we started food blogging. haha Now it’s a constant learning curve trying to make it look good!
8. We waste food. Not always on purpose. Sometimes it’s uncooperative weather or lighting that is the issue. We wait for the perfect time, and it doesn’t come. Out goes the food or it gets consumed in my house by hungry teenagers before I can get the perfect shot. That happens a lot too.
9. We eat what the blog needs. If a brand needs something, that’s what we make. If it’s a certain season, event, holiday or food holiday, we eat whatever it calls for. We have been known to consume dessert for lunch and pasta salad for breakfast. We eat when it’s convenient. We eat when the lighting is good, or else we eat “leftovers” that were made and photographed 10 hours before hand. Brownies for the blog? Yep sound perfect for breakfast after the photo shoot with a cup of coffee!
10. Our camera’s, lenses, phones, ipads and other items are usually covered in food. I somehow got icing all over my camera strap recently. In fact, often when we are working like crazy, with a project deep in the works, cabinet doors, refrigerator handles, even chairs are covered in food. I have often joked I need a maid service after a cooking session. But nope, just me to clean it all up.
So tell me bloggers, what are some hazards you have that go with the territory of being a blogger?