I call them pizza’s, you can call them stuffed mushrooms, but no matter what you call them – they are fabulous!
Less than 200 calories. In the WHOLE thing!
If I made the same pizza on a 100% whole wheat bagel, just the bagel is 250 calories. With no toppings. At all.
I won’t even discuss the difference in the carbs. Or the flavor difference. Oh the flavor -so much better than a dry bagel. SO MUCH BETTER! I didn’t even add pizza sauce, but you could if you wanted.
I topped my “pizza” with veggies and you can top yours with whatever you want. But to get this wonderful 185 calorie treat, let me show you how I did it.
- 2 Large Portabella Mushroom Caps
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped (or minced)
- 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil (you really don't need much)
- 4 wedges of Laughing Cow - Light Garlic & Herb Cheese
- 1 cup Red Peppers, Chopped
- 1 cup Green Peppers, Chopped
- ½ cup Onion, Chopped
- 1 cup baby kale, chopped
- In a saucepan on your stove, heat the olive oil on low.
- Pop your portabella mushrooms in there and saute for 1-2 minutes. Flip them over and saute the other side for about 1-2 minutes, or just until they are slightly softened. Remove the mushrooms to a baking pan lined with tin foil.
- Add the garlic, onions, kale and both peppers to the oil
- Saute for a few minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir around frequently. I also added a dash of salt & pepper but it's definitely not needed... it was a dash, and I couldn't taste it. I'll leave it out next time.
- Remove from heat when done.
- Add two wedges of laughing cow light garlic and herb cheese to each Portabella cap. Kinda smoosh it down in there.
- Divide the veggies from the saucepan between the two portabella mushrooms.
- Broil the mushrooms for about 2-3 minutes (I did this in my toaster oven on the broil setting, if using a large oven, just pay attention to it and don't walk away so you don't burn anything).
- Remove, eat & enjoy!
I love it when I can find ways to cut calories, carbs and fat, just by switching something up. Reminds me of those “unwiches” at Jimmy John’s. I love lettuce wraps!
What little tips, tricks and substitutions do you make to cut the calories, carbs or fat?