If you know me at all, you had to know that my Letter I would be Inspiration. I spend too much time going on and on incessantly about it. In fact, I even listed it on my Letter C post – Top 5 Things I Crave.
Inspiration can be found in so many ways. Here are a few ways, you as a writer, can be inspired to write something.
1. Look at photos: This is my number one trick for finding inspiration to write. Look at nature photos, people photos, candid photos, travel photos. Look at what you see in the photo and imagine what is going on at that moment in time. See if you can weave that into your story somehow and if you can’t, move on. Try another photo.
2. Music: When I am having a really miserable time getting any words down, I do something kind of strange. I put my music on random and I turn up so loud it’s difficult to think. And then I simply write. Even if it’s not good, I usually can’t think about it until the session is over. Of course, I also listen to music turned down to a normal decibel and enjoy using music as a way to relax and get flowing.
3. Meditate. Well, don’t really – unless that’s your thing. Close your eyes and see a scene in your head. Put yourself there and walk through the scene. What’s to your left, your right, behind you? What smells are wafting around you? What do you hear? Walk through the scene as if you are the character. Sometimes when this is done its easier to see clearly where you need to go from there in the story.
4. Take a walk. Inhale the fresh air, close your eyes and feel the sun beating down, watch your neighbors or the kids at the park as you walk along. Look at the trees and describe them in your mind. Getting outside and getting some fresh air, often can help clear your mind and get you focused again.
5. Read. Anything really, but especially books that fall into your genre. See how others are doing what they are doing. Or pick up a writing manual/book and get some inspiration from within those pages.
What do you do to get inspiration? Please share.