Hey it’s time for #SundaySupper! And we’re doing it Portuguese Style for Labor Day!
Today we are celebrating Labor Day. Well, actually tomorrow we are, but today the #SundaySupper team is celebrating Labor Day with a great line up of awesome recipes perfect for the holiday. We don’t usually do much on this holiday, but we use it as an excuse to make great food. Because every holiday goes well with amazing food. Right? And why not some delicious chorizo burgers!?
I have to give total credit for this recipe to our hostess Isabel from FamilyFoodie. Since the first time I saw her Portuguese Style Chorizo Burgers I’ve wanted to try them. Recently she had the opportunity to share them on a radio show and once again I found myself with the desire to make them. Labor day is the perfect day for Burgers and Portuguese Style Chorizo Burgers are AMAZING! Much more amazing than their American counterparts. Just saying.
I only changed them a little and we made them “topless sliders” and used the top bun to dip into the sauce, because you will want to soak it all up. Yes, it’s that good. I really wanted to stay true to the Portuguese Style, while adding a little extra spice. We actually used red pepper flakes in the burger, but we tried one with habanero peppers just to see the difference. The pepper flakes were actually better – they kept the most flavor where it belonged and managed to keep the Portuguese aspect in place – the chorizo adds the rest of the smokey spice. So good.
I owe Isabel big time for such a delicious recipe. First, it was my first time cooking with Chorizo, second it was only my third time cooking Portuguese Style and third, and the biggest thing – is that the recipe was so good that my kids ate every single slider that I made and finished off all the sauce. You really must try this.
P.S. Sorry for the photos. I asked my daughter to photograph them and while she did a great job, we really didn’t think about the dish we had them in – you can’t really see the actual burger (or the yummy wine sauce). haha
- 1 pound Ground Round
- 1 teaspoon of red chili pepper flakes
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced
- 1 small Chorizo finely chopped
- 1 Cup Red Wine
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 2 stems of fresh Parsley chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 4 Eggs
- In a bowl, mix the ground round and the red chili pepper flakes together with your hands. Form the meat into 4 round patties.
- Brush each burger with some olive oil and season with sea salt and ground pepper.
- Set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. I will admit I only did it for about 20 minutes, we were hungry!
- Heat up the grill with a medium flame and cook each burger for approximately 7 minutes for medium rare hamburgers. Flip about halfway and try to keep your flip to only once. This keeps the burgers juicier. Also, refrain from pressing down on the hamburgers with a spatula which will drain them of their juices and make them dry. You don't want a dry burger.
- Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to a large frying pan.
- Add the sliced garlic and chopped chorizo. Saute until they start popping. Don't burn the garlic!
- Now, add the red wine and the beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, simmer on low and add the chopped parsley. Isabel recommends putting in a bay leaf, but I didn't have one. Let me just say that while I have no idea the difference it would have made it was amazing without it. Once the sauce has boiled down and been reduced by half, remove the bay leaf (if you used it) and add the butter until melted and combined.
- Put the burgers in the sauce and remove from heat and allow it to just sit.
- Cook the eggs sunny side up in a separate frying pan in a little bit of butter. (or if you are me, in a lot of butter, because face it - nothing tastes better than it does with butter)
- Remove the eggs and place one on top of each Burger.
- Spoon the Chorizo wine sauce over the eggs.
- Serve. But make sure you serve with crusty bread, rolls or something else to soak up all that delicious sauce. We made ours into sliders, poured the sauce into deep sided dishes and used the "buns/rolls" to soak up all the sauce. Delicious!
Starters & Snacks
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Korean chili by
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders by Damn Delicious
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Portuguese Style Spicy Chorizo Burgers / Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vineagarete for #SundaySupper by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- #SundaySupper Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
- lightened lemon pound cake by
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper by In the Kitchen with KP
- Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!
All you have to do is follow the TweetChat!, or you can follow us through
We’d also love to feature your Cookout recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!