This Summer Cool Pack Tutorial and Smucker’s Ice Cream Toppings post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TopYourSummer #SoHoppinGood #CollectiveBias
I don’t know where you are, but here in St. Louis, it’s HOT!
We’ve already had a few heat indexes that have hit from 104 to 108. Staying cool is a constant goal.
Obviously the easiest way to stay cool is to keep inside, in an air conditioned building or house. Or hang out in the pool, to stay cool. But there are still plenty of times in the hot summer months when we find ourselves outside and we need a way to cool down.
Create a Summer Cool Pack
Making a Cool Pack is really easy and can be customized in your own creative way!
- 1 gallon size bag per person
- approx. 2 cups of dish soap or after sun aloe gel
- plastic ice cubes in fun shapes
- heavy duty tape, if desired
- It's a good idea to make these up way ahead of time. We keep them available all the time, so anytime we have to run, we just grab a couple and go.
- Start by freezing the plastic ice cubes.
- While those are on their way to freezing, fill a large gallon size ziptop bag with dish soap or after sun aloe gel. These items are usually chosen for color. You can also use shaving cream, pudding, jello, etc. or anything else that you can think of.
- Seal up the top of the bag and refrigerate until cold.
- When you are ready to head out, pull out the bags you want, and fill each with a handful of the frozen plastic ice cubes. Reseal the bag. If you are worried about a child opening the bag and everything spilling out, go ahead and tape it shut. You can freeze the whole thing after that, and use it as it's thawing.
- Now, you have a cold pack. We make these up for our really little ones mostly, though trust me, I use it too. It's a fun texture, it looks super cool and most importantly, it stays cold for awhile.
- You can lay it on your stomach over the top of your clothes, hold it on the back of your neck or even on top of your head, which my kids find hilarious to do. A very young child, can simple use it to play with in their hands, achieving the cool down effect that way.
- Side note: If you decide to freeze the entire bag, you will always have an ice pack when there is a bump or bruise. A benefit too!
We also sometimes include glitter, chilled marbles and other odds and ends, just to make it more appealing and fun!
But wait! I have a couple more ideas on how to stay cool! Keep reading!
When I think of summer, I definitely think ice cream!
Why not have a little ice cream party with your family. Tastes amazing and helps keep you cool!
When you think of the perfect pairing – what’s makes ice cream perfect? Smucker’s Ice Cream Toppings!
They’re better together!I feel the same way about my family. We’re better together! So we LOVE to come together in the summer for an ice cream night!
We head over to Walmart to pick up a bunch of different Smucker’s Ice Cream Toppings! There are a wide variety of that add delight — and a creative touch — to our ice cream party. You can find Smucker’s Ice Cream Toppings on the end caps at either end of the ice cream aisle at Walmart.Can’t forget to pick up some Blue Bunny® Butter Pecan and Blue Bunny® Homemade Vanilla.
We head home and create awesome sundae creations, made delicious and fun with Smucker’s Ice Cream Toppings!
You can get everything you need to make this summer cold pack and have your ice cream toppings party at Walmart, plus you can earn cash back on Smucker’s Ice Cream Toppings with the free Ibotta app!
Staying cool, family, ice cream and toppings are better together. Need more inspiration, go here and tell me your favorite ice cream topping!
Still looking for a few extra ideas to stay cool?
Carry a Spray Bottle – Before we leave the house, we fill a spray bottle with ice. The sun and heat will melt the ice and you’re left with ice cold water along the way. Mist the spray over your face and even your hair, and allow yourself to cool down that way. It’s an easy fix and can help tremendously. Add a couple of drops of peppermint oil for a nice cooling effect.
Make a fan, or bring a handheld battery operated fan – It’s not the perfect answer, but it can and does help. Just the slightest breeze on super hot skin can feel amazing.
Frozen washcloths – Wet some wash cloths or towels down and freeze them. Then throw them in a zipper top bag and you have a cold compress to cool down.